NUTRITIONAL INFO (Vanilla Ice Cream)
Yields: 4 | Serving Size: 1 scoop
Calories: 103 | Protein: 11g | Fat: 4g | Net Carb: 8g (6g sugar)
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Total Time: 3 hr
2 cup 2% milk
½ vanilla bean pod
¼ cup zero-calorie sweetener
1 egg yolk
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and some water. Place another, smaller bowl on top of the water, and place a strainer inside. Keep this close by while you make the ice cream base.
- In a mini blender process the sweetener into a powder. Separate the yolk from the egg. Combine the yolks and the sweetener in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth and mixture resembles a pale lemon-yellow color.
- In a small pot, add milk with the vanilla (pod and seeds) and bring to a simmer.
- Remove simmered milk from stove and slowly pour about ¼ cup into the egg-sweetener mixture while whisking. This warms the eggs and prevents them from curdling in the next step.
- Pour milk and egg yolk mixture back into pot and heat on low-medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent yolk from scrambling.
- Cook until the base has thickened enough to coat the back of the spatula and registers 170°F with an instant-read thermometer.
- Strain the ice cream base into the bowl of the ice water bath which will remove the vanilla pod and any bits of egg that may have accidentally curdled.
- Leave the ice cream base over the ice water bath, stirring occasionally, until it’s completely chilled. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once chilled, whisk in the Quest® Protein Powder and pour ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and let churn for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove ice cream from machine, place in an air tight container, covering the top with parchment to ensure no ice crystals form on top, and freeze for about 2-3 hours.
- Serve immediately.