“Are you going to eat this? Because I’m going to take it if you’re not”
This week, the Quest Employees did not see this one coming. We’re known for our sweet and chocolatey cheat meals, keto recipes and cakes so when the Quest chefs brought out protein tamales the employees didn’t know what to expect. Just wait for Clark’s reaction when he finds out one of the ingredients… Classic. R&D guys Richie and Brian also make an appearance — you might know Brian from Cook Clean in 15. I see a bromance show in the duo’s future.
IF YOU’RE HALF AS EXCITED AS CLARK IS IN THIS VIDEO, I UNDERSTAND — I’LL KEEP IT SHORT, HERE’S THE FULL RECIPE:
NUTRITIONAL INFO (RECIPE CREATED BY JOE CASTRO)
Yields: 11 servings | Serving Size: 1 tamale
Calories: 300 | Protein: 32g | Fat: 17g | Net Carb: 5g (0g sugar)
Fiber: 2g | Total Carbs: 7g | P/Cal: 43%
Prep Time : 1hr 30min | Cook Time: 1hr | Total Time: 3hrs
1 cup (4bags) Quest® Cheddar & Sour Cream Protein Chips
2 ½ scoops Quest® Multi-Purpose Mix Protein Powder
1 cup palm kernel oil
1 cup water
½ cup almond flour
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
TOMATILLO GREEN CHILI SAUCE
4 whole green tomatillos
2 whole serrano chilis
4 cups water
1 clove of garlic
1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups shredded chicken
1 bag corn husk
TOMATILLO GREEN CHILI SAUCE
- Boil water in a large saucepan.
- Remove husks from tomatillos.
- Stem serrano chilies.
- Add tomatillos and Serrano chilies to water. Boil on high heat for 10 minutes.
- When tomatillos are soft place them and Serrano chilies in a blender and add garlic clove, black pepper, and 2 cups of water from saucepan. Blend for 1 minute.
- Remove 2 ½ cups, and in a medium bowl combine with 1 scoop Quest® Multi-Purpose Protein Powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 ½ teaspoon of chili powder. Mix together until powder is fully incorporated.
- Take 2 cups of shredded chicken and add into tomatillo green chili sauce.
- Take husk and boil in water until husk are softened.
- Take 4 bags of Quest® Cheddar & Sour Cream Protein Chips and hand crush them.
- Place the crushed chips in a food processor, and blend to a fine powder. (You can also achieve this without a processor by placing crushed chips in a sealable plastic bag and rolling with a heavy roller for about two minutes until fine powder is achieved.)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, place 1 cup of Quest® Cheddar & Sour Cream Protein Chips powder, 2 ½ scoops Quest® Multi-Purpose Mix Protein Powder, ½ cup of almond flour, 2 tespoons of garlic powder, 2 teaspoon of ancho chile, 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- In a microwave safe bowl place palm kernel oil and microwave for fifteen seconds. Remove bowl from microwave and begin to work palm kernel oil by hand until oil becomes workable.
- Take 1 cup of palm kernel oil and add to bowl with powders. Begin to work the palm kernel oil by hand until all palm kernel oil is incorporated. Then add in 1 cup of water and work together by hand until masa is no longer sticky. Set aside.
- Take softened husk, pat dry, and spread ¼ cup of masa on the top half of the husk (leave bottom half free so you can fold).
- Take 2 tablespoons of chicken filling and place in the center of the masa.
- Fold one half of the husk over the chicken filling. Take other half of husk and fold on top of first fold. Take the bottom part of husk and fold into the folds. Optional: To make more secure fold, take husk and strip into ribbons. Tie ribbons around folds.
- Place tamales in a vegetable steamer vertically and steam for 1 hour or until masa has firmed.
- Other alternatives to using vegetable steamer, place colander inside a pot filled with 2 inches of water and steam at medium-low heat.