Oats….A staple in the diet of nearly every bodybuilder, figure/fitness/physique athlete, or any one else following a clean eating regimen. Starting your day with a bowl of hot oatmeal is great, but sometimes you may want something different or you occasionally need a little crunch!!!
The following is a quick and easy recipe for a great tasting, healthy granola.
- 6 C. Whole Rolled Oats
- 6 Large Egg Whites
- 6 T. Ground Cinnamon
- 6 T. Splenda Granular
- 1 T. Vanilla Extract
- 1 t. Sea Salt
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly oil or spray and large flat cookie sheet.
2) Combine egg whites, cinnamon, Splenda, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixing bowl
3) Add oats and stir to combine thoroughly
4) Spread mixture in an even layer in pan
5) Bake 30-40 minutes (or until golden brown) stirring and breaking up every 8-10 minutes
6) Once to desired doneness, remove and let cool completely
7) Store in a large sealable container
Nutrition (per 1/2 Cup):
Calories:155 Protein: 7g Carbohydrate: 27g Fat: 3g
Depending on your nutritional needs or tastes, you can add (after baking) dried fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, flax meal, wheat germ, etc. I have also experimented with various flavored extracts (maple, banana, caramel, coconut) in place of the vanilla with great results. Be creative!!! This recipe is just a base (…but great on it’s own). Add to taste anything you desire to create your own unique take on granola.