NUTRITIONAL INFO (PROTEIN PIZZA FRIES)
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: ¼ recipe
Calories: 392 | Protein: 36g | Fat: 21g | Net Carb: 12g
Fiber: 3g P/CAL: 35%
Prep Time: 45 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 1hr
3 tablespoons Quest® Multi-Purpose Mix Protein Powder
3 quarts water
½ head of cauliflower, chopped
3 tbsp egg whites
1 teaspoon plus ½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup coconut oil for frying method or ¼ cup for baking method
½ cup no-sugar-added tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon zero-calorie sweetener
1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
4 sticks light mozzarella string cheese, shredded
1 ounce mini pepperoni
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil over high heat.
- As water heats, add cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice.
- Remove cauliflower from food processor and measure 2 cups. Place in a large non-plastic strainer or colander.
- Submerge strainer in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove strainer from pot, and place boiled cauliflower onto a cheesecloth or dish towel.
- Squeeze cauliflower in towel to absorb as much moisture as possible. Set aside. You should be left with about ¾ cup of ‘riced’ cauliflower.
- Hand crush four bags of Quest Protein Chips™.
- Add crushed chips to a food processor, and blend to a fine powder.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add Quest Protein Powder™, riced cauliflower, powdered chips, egg whites, and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Mix thoroughly to form a dough.
- Knead mixture by hand for one minute until a solid mass is formed.
- Proceed with one of the preparation instructions below: frying or baking.
- Roll dough flat with rolling pin to ¼-inch thick.
- With a knife, cut ¼-inch-wide fries to the length of your choosing (¼-inch width is recommended for better cooking texture and time).
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup coconut oil to 350°F, using a cooking thermometer to gauge. If oil begins to smoke, it’s too hot.
- Once the oil has reached 350°F, use tongs to place fries into pan, one at a time.
- Move fries around to prevent sticking.
- After 30 to 40 seconds, fries should reach a golden-brown color.
- Remove and place on a stack of paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, place in a mixing bowl, and toss with remaining ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Add ¼ cup softened coconut oil to dough, and knead again.
- Roll dough flat with a rolling pin to ½-inch thick.
- With a knife, cut ½ inch-wide fries to the length of your choosing (½-inch width is recommended for baking, as the fries will not expand much).
- Lay fries evenly on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Move to a mixing bowl, and toss with remaining ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, garlic powder, sweetener, and basil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place fries on an oven safe dish.
- Drizzle sauce over fries, sprinkle with cheese, and top with pepperoni.
- Place in oven for 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.