ON THIS EDITION OF QIY WE’RE GOING TO SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PROTEIN JACK-O-LANTERN FROM AN EMPTY PROTEIN POWDER CANISTER.
START BY PEELING OFF THE LABEL
NOW IT’S TIME TO CREATE YOUR JACKED-O-LANTERN DESIGN
THIS IS JUST OURS, MAKE YOURS INTO WHATEVER YOU WANT!
USE REGULAR OR DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE TO SECURE YOUR DESIGN BEFORE…
ADHERING IT TO THE INSIDE OF THE CANISTER AND DROPPING IN YOUR LIGHT SOURCE — VOILA!
CHECK OUT THE FULL VIDEO FOR THE DETAILS AND CRAFTING INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!
- Quest Powder Canister
- Black Construction Paper
- Scotch Tape (double sided preferred)
- Pencil or Chalk
- Electric Candle
DIRECTIONS FOR ASSEMBLY
- Rinse the inside of the canister and lid thoroughly to remove any excess powder. Powder will prevent the tape from adhering properly
- Peel the label until the back half of the canister is exposed
- Cut off the loose label ends with scissors and set the canister to the side
- On a piece of black construction paper, take a ruler and measure out a box to draw your main design in. Draw your box in either pencil or chalk for visibility.
- This can be any size you like. I chose to draw a box the height of the canister and fill it to the edges.
- In the free space around your box, add extra decoration, like bats
- Take your scissors and cut out your designs. Dispose of excess paper.
- For circular designs, like a “Q”, lightly fold the paper in half and make an incision into the center. Work your scissors into the incision point and gently cut out the inner circle.
- Lay out your main design on your work surface, and gently place a long strip of double-sided scotch tape across it
- Large designs might require multiple pieces of tape
- If using single-sided tape, attach tape to the back of your design
- Bring back your canister, remove the lid, and position it with the exposed back facing you
- Pick up your design by the tape ends, and place it inside the canister along the wall of the exposed back.
- Once the double sided tape has adhered to the canister wall, feel free to readjust the spacing of your design
- Apply tape to the extra decorations and add them to empty spaces around your design
- Place an electric candle inside the canister and screw on the lid
- If stability is desired, feel free to hold the candle in place with tape
- Display your shadow box. Happy Halloween.