As a fitness model and competitor, one of the main reasons for my success in the industry is by making clean eating a lifestyle. One of the main reasons for failure in weight loss is because some deprive themselves for too long or eat too few calories which leads to overeating and binging. I have learned to incorporate a healthy eating plan and relationship with food to prevent overeating. Use these tricks to derail the onset of a binge.
1. Out of Sight, Out of Mind – Clean out your refrigerator and cupboards and get rid of anything that is loaded with sugar, fat, fried or a food that you know you will eat too much of. These foods are hard to digest and can interfere with the absorption of nutrients. They will also make you feel tired, and will make you want to eat more to get more energy; so then you eat more and you become more fatigued. This creates a vicious cycle.
2. Exercise – When you feel you might binge, exercise is a great way to elevate your mood and get your mind off of food.
3. Eat small meals throughout the day – This is one of the most important things to do to prevent from overeating. When you are constantly supplying your body with food every 2 to 3 hours, you will never get to the point where you are starving. When you skip meals you will find yourself starving and will reach for anything you can. Snacks like almonds, walnuts and cashews are great snacks but should be eaten raw and unsalted.
4. Protein – Eating lots of lean protein throughout the day helps to curb cravings and prevent overeating. Protein shakes are great because they satisfy hunger and are low in calories.
5. Eat your Veggies – Rule of thumb is to stick to green vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, green beans, spinach, and zucchini. The reason for this is that these vegetables prevent spikes in insulin so your blood sugar stays stable. Vegetables like carrots and corn have a high glycemic index and cause your insulin to spike. When your insulin levels are not stable, you will feel hungrier more often and will have more cravings.
6. Complex Carbohydrates – Chose whole grains and brown rice over white breads and rice. They are more satisfying and keep your blood sugar stable which will prevent overeating.
7. Water – Make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day. Drinking a lot of water makes your belly expand and keeps it feeling full throughout the day. Make sure you are not confusing thirst for hunger.