Guess what?! You just did your stomach a HUGE favor by clicking on this article, because today, we’re making one of the guiltiest pleasures on the planet. Only this is the Questified version — meaning we’ve removed all the guilt and replaced it with protein pride. That’s right, brace your tastebuds for protein churros!
For “homework” I hit up the top churro spots in Los Angeles in search of the most “must-have” churros (It’s a tough job, I know…but someone had to do it!). On my journey I discovered (and ate) some amazing deep fried cinnamon sticks drenched in irresistible hazelnut spread. So I took it upon myself to completely deconstruct these churros to their essence and find out what makes them so good. The obvious answer is sugar, but this is Questify, I can’t just copy and paste someone else’s recipe. I’m happy to announce that I was able to turn these ordinary churros into extraordinary churros! They’re packed and stuffed with protein so there’s no excuse to not make these your new go-to pre or post workout meal. I even paired it with homemade chocolate protein spread — which is kinda like Nutella, only…you guessed it, Questified!
Yields: 22 servings | Serving Size: 1 churro
Calories: 100 | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Net Carb: 4g (0.5g sugar)
Fiber: 2g | Total Carb: 6g | P/CAL: 21%
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Total Time: 20 min
1 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup oat flour
¼ cup almond meal
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons zero calorie sweetener
1 cup coconut oil (for frying)
Chocolate Protein Spread
½ cup fat free greek yogurt
¼ cup light sour cream
½ cup zero calorie sweetener (powdered)
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon hazelnut extract
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, Quest Bar®, salt and butter. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a mini blender, blend Quest Protein Powder®, oat flour and almond flour.
- Stir in flour mixture into pot until a ball forms.
- Add in eggs one at a time until mixture is smooth
- Place in piping bag with fitted churro tip.
- Heat coconut oil for frying in a deep skillet to 350°F (190 degrees C).
- Pipe strips of dough and fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sweetener.
- When churros are cool enough to handle roll in the cinnamon and sweetener mixture
Chocolate Protein Spread
- Stir together all ingredients until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Heat in microwave in 15 second intervals to get the spread to desired temperature.