This is a guest post by NPC Bodybuilder and 2010 Mr. Oregon, Matt Porter.
Fall and winter have come and gone. From Thanksgiving to halloween, you engaged in holiday festivities which included consuming hefty amounts of fattening foods and desserts. Now, with summer approaching, you have decided to follow a strict diet to shed that winter weight. Do you know which supplements to take? Nothing beats hard work, but proper supplementation can be a big help. I’ll give you some direction on what I think are the best supplements to include when looking to speed up progress with your dieting efforts.
The listed supplements are in no particular order:
1) Whey protein isolate – This is a high quality protein that has a complete amino acid profile and is free of sugar and fat content.
2) Meal Replacement Bar – I think it clear as day that Quest Protein Bars are the ONLY bars I would ever recommend. You get high quality whey protein isolate, raw almonds that are enriched with monounsatured fats and 15 grams of fiber! Case closed.
3) Fish oil – Fish oil contains a high content of omega-3 fatty acids. The 2 constituents of fish oil are called EPA and DHA. Fish oil has a wide array of health benefits including, lowering blood pressure, lowering inflammation, improving insulin sensitivity and of course helping your body oxidize body fat for fuel.
4) Resveratrol – Derived from red wine, peanuts and grapes, this anti-oxidant has anti-estrogen properties which help fat loss, as well as vascular boosting benefits. Increased blood flow contributes to better nutrient partitioning.
5) 5-HTP – 5-hydroxy-tryptophan is a by-product of L-tryptophan. This amino acid helps you produce the neuro-transmitter serotonin, which helps with mood elevation and keeps you satiated from unwanted cravings.
6) Yohimbine HCL – This is the active constituent of yohimbe bark. This product will help your body burn body fat by antagonizing the body’s A2 receptors in your fat cells. These are the stubborn fat cells located on the buttocks, hips and lower back.
7) Caffeine – Good old caffeine. This supplement will boost energy, mental acuity and raise your metabolism. It is very effective and cheap.
8 ) Glucomannan – This is a fiber supplement that is derived from the Konjac root. It is great while dieting because it has the capabilities to reduce hunger by expanding in your stomach and also regulate blood sugar levels.
9) Food based multiple vitamin – I prefer to use an organic multiple derived from whole food sources. I believe the body can utilize food ingredients more efficiently that synthetic formulations.
10) Green food powder – Incorporating a green food supplement is very important for individuals who don’t eat a lot of vegetables. A green foods supplement will shift your bodies PH levels into an alkaline environment, opposed to an acidic environment.
Incorporating these supplements into your summer time diet plan will help speed along the process to achieving the results you desire. Please remember that supplements WILL NOT replace a faulty nutrition plan. Make sure your nutrition and training regimen is solid and consistent before incorporating supplements.